Thursday, May 14, 2015

Pocket chart math: A spiraling tool

How do you prevent students from forgetting the math you taught last week? Last month? The key is to find many ways to spiral spiral spiral!


Here's one way I spiral in concepts during my Guided Math Workshop.


Pocket Chart Math






































As you can see all you need is a simple poster with instructions, small sentence strips and a small pocket chart from Dollar Tree. I started off by identifying the skills my kids needed to review on a weekly basis. Then, I created problems on small sentence strips (I made 5 to begin and just kept adding more cards as the year went on). I posted a poster with instruction on what to do for each problem.


I found that this was a very simple way for my students to spiral concepts and i LOVED that i didn't have to make any worksheets or run copies because they do all the work in their guided math spiral.


Try this in your classroom! I truly believe you'll see students retaining skills much better.


-THWM

No comments:

Post a Comment